October 9, 2012
5 Tools for Managing Your Ministry’s Money
National Church Administration Day to focus on church finances.
October 18 is National Church Administration Day (NCAD). In conjunction with this day, the National Association of Church Business Administration (NACBA) will feature local chapter meetings throughout the country focusing on the theme “Accounting Principles—Mechanisms to Manage Your Church’s Money.” These events will draw on the expertise of nationally known professionals in church finances, as well as local and regional experts who will share information at the NACBA chapter events in their areas.
National Church Administration Day will highlight five key areas related to managing money for ministry: budgeting and planning, reporting, internal controls, audits, and performance measurements. You can dig into these same five topics in the Essential Guide to Church Finances (Christianity Today), co-authored by Vonna Laue, CPA, and partner for Capin Crouse, the nonprofit accounting firm, and Richard Vargo, MBA, PhD, and a professor of accounting in the Eberhardt School of Business at the University of the Pacific, Stockton, California.
Here are five additional resources by Christianity Today to help you manage your ministry’s resources:
1. Church Finance Today—Founded nearly 20 years ago, Richard Hammar has been serving as senior editor of this monthly print newsletter for church administrators, treasurers, bookkeepers, and board members. Each issue provides timely information on financial and tax-related information that affects churches.
2. Essential Guide to Internal Controls (eBook only)—This eBook focuses on how to prevent embezzlement at your church. With chapters by notable experts, including Richard Hammar, Dan Busby, and Richard Vargo, this eBook provides an invaluable overview of how to establish best practices to prevent financial misconduct. This eBook is available in Kindle and Nook formats, and it can also be viewed on PCs or Macs with the help of free eBook conversion software.
3. Essential Guide to Money for Church Boards (eBook only)—Written by church law and tax expert Richard Hammar, this eBook helps familiarize church board members on a variety of financial issues, including audits, internal controls, securities, embezzlement, severance packages, discretionary funds, designated contributions, housing allowances, compensation planning, excess benefit retirement gifts, and property issues. This eBook is available in Kindle and Nook formats, and it can also be viewed on PCs or Macs with the help of free eBook conversion software.
4. Preventing High-Tech Fraud—This downloadable training resource looks at the myriad ways technology has opened a new gateway for fraud. This pdf guide provides helpful information for every church.
5. Safe Ways to Handle Your Church’s Money—This downloadable training resource by Christianity Today and Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company looks at how to safeguard your treasury. You’ll also learn about when it’s time to bring in a CPA, and what the benefits of a church financial audit are.
Marian V. Liautaud is the editor for Church Law and Tax Resources at Christianity Today.